The word Nava means nine and ratna means gem. The nine gems those are used in gemology together are known as Navaratnas.The science or belief of wearing ratnas or gems has got some historic links. They are also associated with many cultures, like Burmese, Indonesian and Thai etc apart from India. Various religions are also associated with these precious powerful stones such as Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and Buddhism. In the past only Asians were so keen to wear these gems for beneficial experiences but, now they have gained popularity globally. If properly worn by seeking suggestions or advices from learned gemologists or astrologers, they are believed to bring luck and prosperity to the person wearing them. The gems would act in a opposite way if worn for beautification purposes or fashion without proper guidance. So be careful while going for stones to wear. This jewelry style symbolizes the Solar System with a ruby in the center (representing the sun) encircled by the other 8 planetary gemstones.
Nine gemstones of Navaratnas
- Ruby (Sun): Symbol of health, wisdom, wealth and success in love.
- Diamond (Venus): It is placed in the east direction. Diamond is believed to enhance the name, fame and creative talents of the wearer.
- Pearl (Moon): Worn to give strength to the heart.
- Red Coral (Mars): Coral is placed in the south. It instills courage and also helps to cure blood related diseases.
- Hessonite or Garnet (moon’s ascending node,-Rahu): It is in the southwest direction. This stone fulfills ambitions, improves social relationships and protects the wearer from sudden misfortunes.
- Blue sapphire (Saturn): It is placed in the west. Blue sapphire removes evil effects of Saturn. It’s long been the favorite among priests and kings, who considered it symbol of wisdom and purity.
- Cat’s Eye (moon’s descending node, i.e. “Ketu” in Hindu mythology): It protects its wearer from enemies, mysterious dangers and diseases.
- Yellow sapphire (Jupiter): It is placed in the north direction. This stone is one of the most widely used gem that help achieve success in career and stability in love-life.
- Emerald (Mercury): It is placed in northeast and is believed to protect against illnesses, physical danger and evil.
For wearing individual gemstones for a continuous period, should always be consulted with a gemologist and gem of particular weight can be worn only according to your astrological chart. Some stones like Blue sapphire do not suit everyone. At the same time,if worn as per astrological chart it can turn a man to a king and if not favorable it can have serious adverse effect. When these gems are in constant touch with your skin, they are believed to generate positive energy that result in healing effects on the body. Navaratna is generally worn as a ring or as a pendant. The correct way of wearing a Navaratna ring is by wearing the blue sapphire gem representing Saturn pointing towards the body on the ring finger.Stones used for astrological reasons may have some natural inclusions, but these stones should not have any color enhancement, heat treatment and cracks.
Details of individual gemstones will follow.
Article by :Harimohan (Kerala9.com)